1. Verbs and Tenses
2. Subject ? verb Agreement
8. The Infinitive
11. Passive Construction
12. Reported Speech
Know Your Verbs and Terms
- A verb is the life of a sentences.
- The describes an action, drink eat play sing crawl dance
- Verb have different form. Each verb from indicates when an action expressed by a verb place
- Connectors are words and phrases that connect words, phrases or clauses of equivalent grammatical structure.
- Connectors have two types. There are logical connectors and sequence connectors
- Logical connectors are join words and sentences in a logical manner.
* Sequence connectors are used to connect words or sentences which follow sequence of action or events.
First, Later, Next, Subsequently, Then, After that, Meanwhile, Finally, After, Eventually, Before,
* There are two voice in the English language:
A) the active voice
B) the passive voice
- There are two ways to show what somebody has said.
- Direct speech is the actual words used while reported speech gives an indirect account of the words
She said, ?Your exam result would be released tomorrow.
She said that my exam results would be released the next day
- There is a set of complex change when we change direct speech into reported speech;
1. No quotation marks:
- She said, ?I am going home?
- She said that she was going home
2. Change to pronouns:
- Johan said, ?I willdrive home?
- Johan said that he would drive home
3. Change to terms indicating nearest to remoteness
- Johan said, ?I need these boys to help me?
- Johan said that he needed those boys to help him.
(this-->that/there --> there/now --> then)
4. Change to time designations:
- Johan said, ?I need to go home tomorrow? - Johan said that he needed to go home the next day
|5. Change to verb tenses:|
- She said, ?I left my bag at home?
- She said that she had left her bag at home.
( past ----> past perfect )
|Change to verb tenses:|
- She said, ?I will be leaving for Singapore next month?
- She said that she would be leaving for Singapore the following month.
( future ---->future in the past time) Other words to replace said:
told / asked / inquired / ordered / commanded / requested
Change to verb tenses:
- He said, ?Did you bake the cake??
- He asked whether I baked the cake.
( Use of ?whether? or ?if?)
Change to verb tenses:
- He said, ?Can you help me with my homework?? - He asked me whether I could help him with his homework
( can----> could / will ----> would / shall ------> should)
- Punctuation marks are sign that we use to help make our writing clearer